Did you know that you need a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) to drive a bus? That’s right!
In Arizona, to operate a passenger bus with 16 passengers or more, you need a Passenger “P” endorsement according to the AZDMV.
To operate a school bus, you need a school bus “S” endorsement, you must FIRST qualify for a passenger “P” endorsement.
So, besides a public school bus, what kind of jobs can you get with a Passenger “P” CDL?
- Drive a bus for a local municipality
- Tour companies
- Charter bus companies
- Private schools and organizations
- Hotels and resorts (in AZ, think casinos!)
- Assisted living facilities
- Limousine companies
What other types of jobs require a CDL?
According to the the Arizona DMV, the following vehicles require you to have a CDL in order to operate them:
- If you will drive a combination vehicle (truck and trailer) whose trailer has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 lbs. or more and whose total weight with the truck is 26,001 lbs or more, you will need a Class A CDL.
- If you will drive a vehicle whose GVWR is 26,001 lbs. or more, you will need a Class B CDL. With this license, you can also tow a trailer whose weight does not exceed 10,000 lbs.
- If you will transport hazardous materials or 16 passengers (including the driver) or more in a vehicle whose GVWR is 26,000 lbs. or less, you will need a Class C CDL.
Whether local, regional or national, your CDL can get you jobs in:
- Construction – cement and concrete production, dump trucks, heavy equipment delivery
- Specialty cargo hauling – like automobiles and furniture
- Delivery and courier services like FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc.
- Local and regional delivery for grocery and department stores, hardware stores, produce delivery, etc.
What’s great about getting your CDL at Phoenix Truck Driving Institute is that if you have a clean record, you could have a job waiting for you once you get your CDL!